الأحد، 3 ديسمبر 2017

Talk from the heart/rant #1

Why youtube makes you lazy?
You sit down after a long day, you might be having lunch or dinner, you turn on your phone, and decide to visit YouTube to watch a video and relax a bit.
You watch the first video while slowly and absent mindedly eating your food, the video finishes and you haven’t finished your food yet, so you put on another video.
And so it goes on, until it’s two or three hours later, and you don’t exactly know how the time went, you also don’t really know how much videos you watched, and sometimes you can’t exactly tell what you watched.
Does that sound familiar?
You are not alone.
I don’t exactly know the numbers, but I have a feeling they will be shocking. Whether we want to believe it or not, this is what the ease of YouTube has done to us. As long as you have an internet connection and an electronic device, you have the abitlity to surf the waves of Youtube, not fully realizing when you drown. It happens to me almost daily, and I used to be a person who prided my self for my will power and time management, but I lost that power inthe last few years.
The problem with Youtube, and the difference between it and regular entertainment on TV, is that we have managed to convince ourselves that we are not wasting time, for many reasons which may include:
1. I am actually learning information so it is not a complete waste of my time.
2. I had a long day so I deserve to relax and watch something fun
3. I am in a bad mood so I need to watch something to make me feel better
4. I am doing something boring, like laundry or dishes, so I need something to hear or watch to help me get through it
And so on with many other reasons. But have you noticed a common theme among these reasons?
It is that in all these situations, you are just being passive, all you had to do was turn on the device and choose the video, sit back and watch.
You Tube made you lazy. Honestly I sometimes think that I get a sense of accomplishement just by watching a few videos on how to do something, without actually having to do the thing.
It has been a long time since I noticed this habit in me and a few people around me, and I have yet to discover a solution that sticks, a solution I can be consistent with and not relapse from.
I think the key is in changing our ideas, we need to acknowledge that it is a form of entertainment like any other that needs to be kept in limit. We also need to practice to increase our will power, just we try as best we can to eat regularly and in moderation. Moderation is key.
As for being a passive or active person, well that is a choice you need to make yourself, which do you want to be, but that is another topic that I might write about some time.

ليست هناك تعليقات:

إرسال تعليق